It must be said that wide-leg is not for everyone. It's for that reason that they've never been a dominant style to conquer the streets and while we count them among 2011's fashion trends, we don't expect their lack of mass popularity change in a hurry. Skinnies have a long life left in them yet but this is an year in which flares are on-trend and wide leg pants are there alongside them. While the wide-leg may not become your new wardrobe staple just yet, don't overlook it as an elegant and stylish addition to your 2011 wardrobe particularly when styled right.
2. Wide-leg jeans - Jeans that are wide-legged from top of the thigh down can have a tendency to end up looking baggy. In 2011, we'd recommend jeans that are more fitted on the thigh - lean to flared legs or moderately wide legs rather than wide legged jean styles that are too baggy or that lack shape. Be wary of a skinny leg that then widens from the knee, however that's too much like bell bottoms a look firmly out in 2011.
3. Palazzo pants - Palazzo pants are the cousin of the wide-leg family. While wide-leg trousers take you from the office to the bar, palazzo pants serve you best when you're lounging around on a yacht or soaking up some Mediterranean sun. Fabrics should be light and with plenty of drape and flow - silks, crepe, jersey; you can even try sheer fabrics for a look that's daring.
How to wear wide leg;
- With heels - Flats will simply never complete the look as well as heels will, the exception is if you're carrying off a very masculine look with man-style flats.
- With a slim-fitting top - To balance out the volume on the bottom half. A soft, billowing blouse can also work well but is best broken up with a waist-cinching belt.
- With utter 70s glamour - Wide-leg trouser, platforms and a big floppy hat.
- With 40s pin-up girl flair - By pairing some wide-legged sailor pants with nautical stripes and espadrilles.